miércoles, 8 de octubre de 2008

IM GOING TO NAM!



So everyone had been joking for weeks that I was going to NAM! Otherwise known as Namasigüe, Choluteca, Honduras. But I enjoyed the Vietnam reference as well. I finally decided to do a blog because Jessica Dillworth can no longer put up pictures of my beautiful face, and well I thought I´d try to be technological.

So a little information on Namasigüe. In the center of town also called casco urbano there are 3,500 people. Pretty much the same size of my high school. There are about 6 or more towns called aldeas further away making the population close to 25,000 people. The major crops they have down here are cashews as well as shrimp farms. I am about an hour away by car (bus is a completely different story) to the gulf where there are beaches. It is probably one of the hottest regions in all of Honduras because there are less mountains and less trees. In the center of the country there are a lot of pine trees and it looks weirdly like PA. well kinda.

My projects? Currently I am working with the oficina de mujer and oficina de joventud which means with women and children. I am involved in a youth group of young professionals and they have great ideas. Just some of them: they want to do a campaign to clean the town including recycling, family gardens and water purification education. Also a clothing and toy drive for xmas, women and men´s soccer tournaments, cultural fairs with traditional dances and so much more. I feel grateful for having met this group because they really have their stuff together. Their main goal is to re-do the park that they currently have because it used mainly now as a dog corral. The mayor painted it all red and white to show his political party's colors and half of it has faded, not to mention not all of the town is from his party. What they want to do is re-do it so there is shade and a larger plaza to have ferias or fairs and a mulit-use basketball-soccer-volleyball court for the children. And of course, with lights so they can play when its dark. Many kids do not have any place to go at night so they end up just hanging around in the streets. Anywyas this is all in progress and I´m really excited.


In the pictures uploaded: the map of Honduras and of the World are community projects we did while i was living in Cantarranas for 6 weeks for my training. These maps are now permanetly in the schools as a learning tool. The picture of the city is Tegucigalpa (called Tegus here) and is from the US ambassadors house where we had a post graduation party after being sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers. The one of me is at the embassy. Notice the orange flowered trees there everywhere here and i love them.

No hay comentarios: